For years I thought I was eating healthy when I would purchase 30 pounds of my local Ralph’s deli meat. Okay, maybe 30 pounds is a little exaggeration. (Truth: I just had to Google how to spell exaggeration.) Anyhow, after years and years of buying deli ham, turkey, roast beef (the other vaginal meat) I realized that I wasn’t losing weight.
After some research I learned that deli meat is in fact not so good for you/me/us. Here are a few things to keep an eye out for as seen on the chatelaine.com website.
- Sodium nitrate/sodium nitrite: Increased risk of cancers, diabetes and heart disease
- BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole): Possible carcinogen
- BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene): Possible carcinogen
- Smoked/naturally smoked/smoke flavour: Could contain unlisted toxic chemicals.
- Corn syrup: Glucose-heavy, and too much sugar can lead to diabetes, heart disease and other health issues
- Aspartame: Possible health risks including delayed mental development and seizures
So what should we eat? I started purchasing Jennie-O Turkey Breast. This turkey breast is so easy to make and DELICIOUS!!! You can cook it in a crockpot or in the oven. All you have to do is poke a few holes and set the timer.
Try it for a few days or a week and see how you feel not eating the deli meat. Your cankles and heart will thank you for it!